Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mobile Food Rodeo & Magnuson Park

Saturday, September 17, 2011


Seattle had a festival called the Mobile Food Rodeo which rounded up some of the best street food wagons in Seattle and Portland gave us an opportunity to sample many different foods from 26 mobile food trucks. We got to the parking lot in Interbay Whole Foods 10 minutes before the gates opened. There was already a long line. It was misting out and in the 50s. This event was poorly organized. It took an hour to get through line and into the parking lot with the trucks. All they were doing was collecting our tickets, giving us our food tickets and putting on wrist band. Usually efficiency like this drives Joe crazy, but it was so extreme that even I was upset. I was cold and starving. Joe ran to a close truck with a short line. I head straight for Skillet, serving gourmet burgers and fries (known for their famous bacon jam) from their silver airstream. Joe had a really good taco and I had poutine (French fries and cheese curds covered in gravy-staple in Canada). I ordered a small serving for $5 which was monstrous. Shortly after I found out Skillet had run out of all their food so I’m glad I went there when I did. Next we went to the longest line in the place for some creole food. While I was waiting Joe got some Kobe beef sliders. We had some jambalaya and hot beignets with coffee from the creole mobile truck (Where Ya At I think). Marination Station was not at the event yet when we were there, which made me sad because I’ve been wanting to try their Korean-Hawaiian fusion tacos, sliders and kimchi bowls. I bypassed Maximus Minimus pig truck serving pulled pork since they are often at 2nd and Pike near my office. If we still had room I would have tried Bigfood truck. They were more high tech than the others with a flat screen mounted on the exterior of their truck featuring their menu. They serve roasted meats on float bread. It looked delicious and popular.
They weather still wasn’t that great so we decided to give Chance some exercise and took her to Magnuson Park, which is supposed to be one of the top 10 dog parks in the nation. It was huge. 9 acres! We took Chance down to the shoreline of Lake Washington, the only allowed beach access for dogs in Seattle. It just so happened while we were there the sun decided to peak out from behind the clouds.

No comments: