Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Friday August 5-Wednesday August 10, 2011  
We’ve been very worried about my grandmother’s health over the last year (as well as my 3 other living grandparents). In June Grandma was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.  I was given some time off without pay to visit them in Wisconsin coinciding with my parent’s and sister’s family visit to “God’s Country” as Grandpa calls it.

Our first stop from the Green Bay airport was Kroll’s West across from Lambeau Field for some amazing butter burgers.
Saturday once we picked up the Shugarts from the airport on Monday, we headed to Denmark to my Uncle Randy and Aunt Patty’s house. Liam & Pat played in the pool.

Liam wanted more balls.
 The instigators “giving” Liam more balls.
Liam swimming.



We had Liam driving the pink princess mobile, but don’t let the face fool you, he loved it. The battery was close to dying again.  
My adorable new nephew Ryan, close to 5 months old.


Packer’s Family Fun Night. Aaron Rodgers leading stretches. Not suited up for practice, but Clay Matthews looks huge!



 Flyover.
Aaron Rodgers first pass....
Interception for a touchdown…um how about that Packer defense ;)
Donald Driver, age 36 and still the man.
40 minutes in, we were ushered inside off the Lambeau Field metal bleachers. After shopping at the Pro Shop waiting for the sheets of rain to pass, there were still a number of people waiting out the fireworks in the Atrium.
Sunday, we went to mass in the cafeteria at Holy Family School while St Agnes is being renovated. We had some booyah for lunch. My grandparents had a party with all our extended family and their friends stopping by for a visit. There were countless family members that I still have no idea how I’m related to them; mostly my Dad’s cousins.
 
Liam was very excited to see the ice cream truck come by.
Joe was a happy man; Ladder golf and ice cream.  
Henry was only licking his Iron Man popsicle so there was some issues with the popsicles melting too quickly. Chrissi had to help them out and hold their melting pops. I hope the photos of my face after helping eat the remaining blue portion don’t surface. My mouth was blue for hours.

Great Grandma Buth lovin’ on her new great grandson Ryan.

4 generations (minus one): my grandma, my mom and my nephew.
Blue balls.
The kids playin’. It was cute to see them all together.
Boss number 1: Liam and boss number 2: Henry.

Aunt Mary and Aunt Kathy lovin’ on their great nephew.
Monday we went to the NEW (Northeastern Wisconsin) Zoo. Penguins.


Prairie Dog.
Feeding the giraffes.

Badger.
My favorite, the otters.

Raccoons. Happy that there are 2 less in the wild.
Pelican.
Bald Eagle.
Red Panda (KungFu Panda anyone?)
Bears, Roar!
Turtoise.
Carousel ride. It was the first time Liam rode on his own. My cousin Will rode with our cousin Henry and his second cousin Liam.

Tuesday we grabbed Kroll’s burgers for lunch. You can never have too much Krolls.
Joe had an appointment with Grandpa to discuss his wheelchair project.
The boys went with Uncle Pat to shoot some of his guns up at the 13 1/3 acres property while the girls and kids stayed to spend time with the grandparents. Joe turned out to be the best shot of them all.

I helped Liam build houses for cars and hot dog stands out of legos. Grandpa was happy to see him getting help from his “favorite architect.”

We played hide and seek in the yard at grandma’s. In Liam’s version he tells everyone where to go hide before the person counts. Not much surprise except when you hide where he doesn’t say and shock him at your awesome hiding skills. I’ve had years of practice in this yard. It was a great afternoon playing with my nephew.

Ryan is starting to be very interested in the food others are eating. Liam was not interested in solid foods at 5 months, but Ryan might be. He seems to be doing everything before Liam, especially in size. He’s almost in 9 month clothes which Liam was still wearing at 12 months old, not 5 months. Here he is intently watching Chrissi eating a banana.
Great grandma’s got me!

My loves: sis, Ryan & Joe.
We went to have an amazing dinner at a restaurant in downtown Green Bay where my nephew is a chef. We were there to celebrate my grandparents 60 years of marriage and exactly my parent’s 36th wedding anniversary. We had 14 members of my family there so the owner gave my cousin the night off to have dinner with us on a Tuesday night. I had the Uptown Mac & Cheese with applewood smoked bacon, scallions, tomatoes and a blend of gruyere, fontina, asiago and mozzarella cheese. Many of my Wisconsin family members tried the North Carolina Style Pulled Pork Sandwich in our family’s honor I think. It was so great to see my grandparents out for the night. Their health keeps them from doing a lot of things these days so we were very happy we were able to have a nice evening out with both of them feeling well during the 3.5 hour long dinner!

Me & my grandparents.
Grandpa, me, Uncle Dan & Grandma.
The trip was short, but I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to visit with my family. I have a feeling it’s going to be tough living 3,000 miles away when the holidays roll around. We are really loving our time out here, but there is nothing like spending quality time with those you love, especially when you don’t know the next time you will see them, if you see them. I love you all!!!

No comments: