Saturday, April 7, 2012

Architecture Tour Guide & Long “Run”

April 7, 2012

I survived giving my 4 stops on the Seattle Architecture Foundation Architecture 101 tour as a volunteer guide trainee. We had a large group which made it really hard to project your voice over the noisy crowded downtown streets, but I think most enjoyed it.

My next challenge of the day: manage to run 12 miles on this gorgeous day along Elliott Bay!

Goodbye viaduct.
Olympic Sculpture Park.
Elliott Bay Trail.

Marina & Mt Rainier.
My body did not agree with me on the run today. Around mile 5 I injured my foot. The outer edge of my right foot felt like my arch had been flattened.  I kept running since my whole obstacle with this thing is mental and usually if I keep running my tight shin splints pain goes away especially when I run on a more forgiving surface like grass or wood chips so I was hoping that this would be the same case. I think I only totaled around 10.6 miles with shortcuts and pit stops. All of my muscles were in shock. I hadn't eaten for 4 hours before my run and a glass of water before running upset my stomach. I know this injury is probably due to my shoes. I have been running in the same pair this whole time. I just added up all the miles I have run in my New Balance's since I started training in January: 111 miles. I've read every 300-500 miles you should replace your shoes. I've had these shoes for awhile so I'm probably around that mark. The bad thing is this was my last long run and I was transitioning to shorter ones after this I could give my body some recoup time for the big race. I was also planning to go to the specialty running shoe store to get properly fitted for new shoes this weekend. It's not my ankle that hurts or the bone connecting to my pinky toe, but it’s painful around my cuboid and peroneal tendons.

I never thought I’d be mad/jealous and DEPRESSED that I can’t run anymore. I’m convinced I either have cuboid subluxation or a street fracture. Looks like I won’t be running my first half marathon in 2 weeks L all that training for nothing…

Update after a week and a half of rest, I’ve been diagnosed with tendonitis. X-rays at the doctor came back clean, no broken bones, no dislocations. 2-4 more weeks of rest and I can try running a short distance again.

No comments: