Monday, April 7, 2014

Taiwan 2014

March 28-April 7, 2014

Friday March 28
Bound for Taipei, Taiwan! I'm ready for the long hours of travel to be over already and eat some yummy food with my in-laws. My biggest travel worry was my nausea acting up around strange smells, such as stinky tofu which I cannot stand. 

Saturday March 29

Late night arrival around 10pm Taiwan time. Straight to bed for us!


Sunday March 30
Breakfast at World Soybean Milk Magnate in Yonghe. We went for a walk to the park with Joe's Dad. We had some of Joe's family over for dinner: us, Mom, Dad, Grandmother, Grandmother's brother & his wife (they own a restaurant nearby), and another Uncle and his wife.

Monday March 31

We ate breakfast again at World Soybean Milk Magnate. Joe and his Dad went to run errands and take care of some paperwork in the city. Joe secured his birth certificate issued from Taiwan. I went to the market with Joe's Mom. She bought loads of fruit for the week as well as other healthy produce for me and the baby to eat. There were fresh bamboo shoots in season this time of year. The most alarming part of Taiwanese open air markets is the raw chicken lying out on the table for you to choose. They cut it up for you right there. In Chinese culture, a pregnant woman isn't to be around cutting or anything that may be disturbing to the child. While we were purchasing the chicken, I had to turn my little belly away and rub it to soothe the baby per mom’s instructions. We bought some fresh squeezed orange juice and then head back to the house. Also in Chinese culture, pregnant women are not supposed to lift anything. Mom would not let me carry any of the bags of groceries back home.
Joe's Great Uncle and his wife took us and the rest of the family out for a really nice dinner that night. It was quite a fun evening.


Tuesday April 1
We ate breakfast at World Soybean Milk Magnate. Are you seeing a trend? Yes this place is really that good and the cheapest food you can find. The menu is big enough to have different things each day and it not get old.
Thankfully I have not had any nausea issues yet, but 13+ weeks is looking promising! I haven't smelt stinky tofu yet, but hopefully the worst of morning sickness may be behind me now...
Joe & I ran some errands in Taipei and avoided the mass protest going on near the government buildings (China trade deal) by cutting through beautiful Liberty Square with the National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, National Theater, and the Main Gate



Wednesday April 2

We had breakfast at a sandwich place in Yonghe that Joe likes.
Today Joe and Jackie ran some more errands. We got all our ducks in a row for paperwork required to be sent to the Netherlands along with Joe’s birth certificate for proper vetting with the government for Joe’s new position.
Afterwards we walked over to the Taipei Arena which we had never seen. This area has a lot of money. Big banks, financial headquarters, Mercedes and other luxury car dealerships.
Taipei Arena






Soccer field
Jackie liked this curved metal panel façade.


We ate lunch in Ximen and then shopped in the Underground Mall. 
For dinner the family made Chinese burritos. They know how much I like them from years ago so they make them about every time I visit.
My baby bump is just now beginning to show: 14 weeks

Thursday April 3
Joe's Grandmother was in the hospital while we were there. In Chinese culture, it is not good for pregnant women to be near sick people or anything involving death around the baby. I was not allowed to visit her, but Joe & his Mom went. I grabbed breakfast at the World Soybean Milk Magnate with Joe's Dad. Joe the translator got many phone calls when I was on my own with his parents. It's not always the easiest to communicate through hand gestures when we both don't know each other's native language. 
Joe's Aunt from Charlotte (second Uncle's wife) happened to be visiting in Taiwan the same time as us. She took us out for dinner tonight.

Friday April 4
Joe and his Mom visited Grandmother in the hospital. She was doing much better today. 
We met up together for Joe, me, Dad and Mom to have lunch. 
Coming out of the metro at Taipei 101, there it was: Din Tai Fung @ Taipei 101. 
I insisted on eating here for lunch. It was Mom & Dad's first time there because this place is pricey. Mmm I love these Taiwanese prices. 1/3 of Bellevue's price and SOOO much tastier! No comparison. Xiao long bao here is the best! 


Taipei 101

Saturday April 5
Beautiful 82 degree sunny day in Danshui on the northeast coast of Taiwan






Mom, Joe & Dad
Mom, Dad & Jackie (and little baby at 14 weeks)
Danshui little eats street food
Mom & Dad were tired from all the walking so they went home. Joe and I decided to walk around Shilin as the Night Market was beginning to setup. We had to get some Hot Star fried chicken steak. The piece is massive! 




Sunday April 6
We had one last breakfast at Yonghe's World Soybean Milk Magnate. Today's mission was to find an old map of Taiwan to hang in the house. After countless stores, the best we had found was a tourist map roll at Eslite Bookstore on Friday.
Mom & Dad made dinner of pounded rice cakes made into noodle form and a few other yummy dishes as always.

Monday April 7
I'm so glad to be home! I can't wait to sleep in my own bed and snuggle with my puppy
We had a great flyover of Seattle on our flight in!


No comments: