Sunday, June 5, 2011

First Weekend in Mill Creek

Friday June 3-Sunday June 5, 2011
I had worked later Wednesday so I left early Thursday, giving me more time to get most of the kitchen situated. I also completed hanging all of our clothes in our huge walk-in closet. I’m really liking it because we both have equal hanging space. Joe still has a dresser over me, but I know can hang all of my nicer clothing for easy access. In a few months we hope to finally find new bedroom furniture. After sleeping on a California King bed in Bellingham, our old queen feels really small. Maybe we’ll upgrade to a king.
Friday after work a guy came to the house to unpack our 2 crated flat screen TV’s and setup the washer and dryer. As soon as it was running, I had loads of laundry going, to prepare for Joe to pack to leave me Saturday morning. For work, Joe is heading to the Netherlands for a week. If only the trip was 2 weeks earlier I could have gone with him. I’m just glad it’s next week and not this week when the movers came. It’s a good thing I enjoy unpacking or else I wouldn’t be happy about his trip (I am really jealous though). Hopefully he’ll have a chance to go again next year when I have vacation time.
Saturday was a gorgeous day. The guy from DirectTV came to setup our cable, HDTV and satellite dish. By afternoon the televisions were showing far too many channels and the weather could not have been greater. I opened every window in the house. I’m so glad there are screens on the windows since that isn’t standard these days on new homes, even though you don’t need them out here because the bugs are really minimal. I made it through a good amount of boxes that night. By the end of the weekend I had opened every single box and determined where its belongings should live. Our closets quickly filled up with Christmas decorations, camping supplies, scuba gear, luggage, my wedding dress, gift wrapping supplies, spare boxes etc. 
Sunday afternoon Chance and I went for a long walk around Mill Creek. We walked through some connecting neighborhoods to the parkway that encircles the Mill Creek golf course. Chance had me worried at around mile 2 when she stopped walking completely. She would just stand there holding her own and doing her best to stay put even if it meant letting her collar slide over her head. She used to do this to me every time I tried to walk her beyond our old neighborhood in Charleston. I fortunately was able to coax her with treats to continue to Mill Creek Town Center. Since this suburban town lacked a real identity since it was incorporated in 1983, they created this shopping center to act as the central core “downtown” feel destination.  I forgot to take the camera on the walk.
I hope I didn’t ruin the idea of a walk for her like I feel I may have in Charleston. I was taking her for 3 mile runs out of our neighborhood, training for the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K. I think I just overdid it for her.

No comments: