Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sehome Hill Arboretum Observation Tower

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This afternoon, Chance and I drove up Sehome Hill to the Arboretum. We took Tower Trail to the Observation Tower. I’m not really sure what I was expecting. Most of the view from the tower was blocked by tall trees. You couldn’t see much of the bay shoreline or center of downtown like I was hoping. I figured this might be the case since I couldn’t see the profile of the tower from our house which overlooks Sehome Hill. I was weirded out by the drifter hiding out/sleeping in their sleeping bag at the top of the tower. On our way back on the trail we saw a cool tunnel. In 1923, this tunnel was blast through sandstone to allow Model-T Fords to sputter in and out. In 1967 the road was closed to cars and Sehome Hill became a preserved arboretum. Now it is a main walking path from WWU to the top of Sehome Hill. I decided to take Chance on a longer walk .23 miles on Douglas Fir Trail and then back up the road .14 miles to our car. It was nice to get out of the house today.

No comments: